A pattern seems to be emerging here. The wonderful Hollie from My Blog is My Boyfriend has, yet again, nominated me for a writing challenge. I am confident that she is generous and thoughtful everyday but, she picks me for these everytime I’m having a blogging drought. So, thank you Hollie, yet again, for nominating me. Hope I make you proud!
The rules for this challenge are simple. The Rule of Tens, in this case, tells you to name ten things you love, ten things you hate and ten people you nominate to do the same. I am quite a fan of listing things, so it is an easy enough and fun challenge for me.
10 Things I love:
1. 80’s teen films. – Okay, so I’m far from being a teenager or a Young Adult. But, there is something quite magical about films set in an era preceding the internet. Sure, there were computers and video games and cordless phones and walkie talkies. And sure, there were adults at the time who thought these films and that generation was souless. But, lack of emailing, texting etc. (though one of the big ones in this genre – Pretty in Pink – had the main characters chatting on LAN computers) gives these films a slowness and a tenderness lacking in films from the next decade onward. I like all the big ones and am always on the hunt for more obscure ones, like a film called Reckless starring Aidan Quinn and Daryl Hannah, with an amazing dance sequence.
3. Period Dramas, especially those set in the 19th century. – I am a hopeless romantic, and there is nothing more effective to feed that hunger than period dramas. My favourite is the 2004 BBC series North and South, which is like an industrial Pride and Prejudice. Ladies, I must warn you. If you want to save yourself time and not spend
days months years obsessing over such perfection, forget you ever read any of this. Otherwise, I dare you NOT to fall in love with this series. The only time I’ve experienced love at first sight was with the hero of this piece – Mr. John Thornton. The moment he stepped onto the screen, I got more than what I expected and started asking myself – “Who is this? How did I not know he exists?” It was, as though, my own existence had begun. In my controversial opinion, he makes Rhett Butler take a hike and even upends Colin Firth’s Mr. Darcy at times. Some of my other favourites are Emma (2008), Persuasion (1995), Cranford and The Way We Live Now.
4. Communing with nature early morning instead of being in a rush and having no time to appreciate it.
5. Most sweet things in the world.
6. Idealistic, non-cynical human beings.
7. One-on-one idle conversations.
8. Jazz clarinet.
9. Watching movies at a theatre.
10. The Three-Minute Pop Song. Frankly, it’s the love of my life.
10 Things I hate:
1. This will be top of my list, same as Hollie’s : milk!
2. People who aren’t on time, and don’t feel the need to genuinely apologise for it either.
3. People who sit around ranting about the wrongs of the world as if it is a moral obligation for them, but never actually do even the smallest of things about it.
4. The words and phrases “best wishes”, “objectionable”, “crush”, “don’t mean to be rude.” I’m sure there are more.
5. People who swear as a means of slipping the word in to look cool, instead of letting it come out organically.
6. Exercising in public.
7. People who give you nicknames when you’ve barely met them.
8. Some makeup and skincare shop assistants who think it’s good selling strategy to tell your customers they look like sh*t.
9. People who litter. People who blow horns for no reason. Or jump traffic signals.
10. Prank callers, tele-marketers and the like.
Wow, quite a lot of hate there. Although, I have been more ranty than usual. If you would like to read more, with details, you might want to check out my post on pet peeves. However, I can confidently report, I love a great, great deal more than I hate.
I hope my nominees have fun attempting this challenge. If you don’t want to make an entire post of it (or haven’t been nominated, for which I am sorry, I could only name ten), why don’t you list some of your loves and hates below? Preferably with no swearing (even though we can’t help it sometimes!) as I like to keep my blog clean. Have fun!